History of Irrigation

The development of irrigation Agencies has strong linkages, and interfaces with the physical infrastructure as well as system design and management practices. In order to appreciate the historical perspective of irrigation and agency development better, factors contributing to its development needs to be determined. The chronological sequence of the development of Irrigation Department Khyber Pukhtoon Khawa and its canal system is elaborated as under.

 

Year
Major Event
Mughal Era
 
17th Century
Construction of Joe Sheikh inundation canal was carried out from the R/Bank of River Kabul during the reign of Mughal emperor Aurangzeb and to irrigate areas around Peshawar.
 
Pre-independence Era
 
1786
Military Board was set up to look after all public work matters in India
 
1854
Public Works Department ( PWD ) was established and was responsible for the construction of roads, buildings, railways as well as flood control, irrigation and military works.
 
1854
Robert Napier appointed as Chief Engineer to look after Civil , military and public Works in India
 
1854
Establishment of Directorate of Canals headed by Chief Engineer
 
1866
Public works department created in all provinces under central control having following branches i) the military Works Branch. ii) the Civil Works Branch, including Irrigation. Iii) the Railway Branch
 
1873
Enactment of “The Northern India Canal and Drainage Act”
 
1895
Public works Department assigned to deal purely with civil works including irrigation works.
 
1895
Construction of Lower Swat Canal with design discharge of 830 cusec.
 
1901
Central Mechanical Work shop established in Amritsar..
 
1905
Establishment of Irrigation Department India comprising of Chief Engineer / Secretary, and seven circle.
 
1908
Paharpur Irrigation Canal system was constructed with a total length of 50 miles.
 
1914
Upper Swat canal constructed with design discharge capacity of 2200 cusec. .
 
1915
Swat canal circle transferred to the NWFP Government. .
 
1925
Hydraulic Research Institute established at Malikpur on Upper Bari Doab Canal
 
1939
Design Directorate established in Irrigation Department.
 
Pre-independence Era
 
1955
All the four provinces and princely state integrated in one unit –West Pakistan. The Chief Engineer West Pakistan headed the organization assisted by four Additional Chief Engineer.
 
1957
250 cusec Pehur Main Canal constructed to irrigate 43000 acres of land.
 
1958
Water and Power Development Authority created.
 
1960
Indus Water Treaty between India and Pakistan signed.
 
1962
Independent Chief Engineer Irrigation appointed in N-W.F.P
 
1962
Baran Reservoir on Baran Nullah commissioned.
 
1964
650 cusec Kurram Ghari Project commissioned.
 
1965
650 cusec Kurram Ghari Project commissioned.
 
1967
Tanda dam project commissioned. The project designed command area is 32000 acres while the channel has carrying capacity of 263 cusec.
 
1977
Public Works Department devolved in to Work & Services and Irrigation & Public Health Department.
 
1985
Khan Pur Dam Canal system commissioned on Hero River. Discharge capacity of canal is 118 cusec while designed command area is 18000 acres.
 
1991
Water Accord signed between the Provinces of Pakistan
 
1992
Public Health Department separated from Irrigation Department.
 
1997
Irrigation Department re-designated as Irrigation & Power Department.
 
2005
Pehur High level Canal was commissioned with designed capacity of 1000 cusec and additional command of 12500 acres.
 
2008
Power Department separated from Irrigation Department.
 
2011
Irrigation Department N-W.F.P notified as Irrigation Department Khyber  Pakhtunkhwa
 

 

 

News and events
News, Tendes, Jobs would be published here.
Copyright 2013, All Rights Reserved by Irrigation Department KP